2023 - 2024 policy platform
The Business Council will anchor its advocacy priorities in the following key policy platforms:
- Australia remains an open, competitive, trading nation that supports private enterprise, free markets and innovation and entrepreneurship through efficient supply chains and access to talent.
- A modern, diversified and resilient economy underpinned by stronger productivity, research, innovation and competitiveness, a tax system that drives investment and a regulatory environment that makes it easier to do business and meets community expectations.
- Australia pursues a national goal of net-zero emissions by 2050, including working on a 2035 target, through a coordinated and well managed transition that drives investment in new technologies, develops new export industries, preserves energy security and affordability and actively supports regions and communities.
- A simplified workplace relations framework that supports productive, inclusive, flexible and diverse workplaces that maximise the potential of employees and businesses, supports innovation and competitiveness, and includes policy settings to encourage equity through greater economic participation.
- Australia should lead the world in talent, skills and capabilities, driven by a world class modern education, research and training system and complemented by an effective, targeted skilled migration program that tackles immediate workforce shortages and resets skilled migration to drive innovation and productivity.
- Empowerment of Indigenous Australians through full participation in the Australian economy and constitutional recognition of a Voice to the parliament.
Stronger ASEAN business engagement critical to Australia’s future economic prosperity
5 March 2024
The Business Council is calling for a greater level of investment and collaboration between Southeast Asian countries, to boost economic growth, as regional business leaders meet in Melbourne today to...
BCA submission to Carbon Leakage Review: consultation paper
1 March 2024
The Business Council of Australia (BCA) welcomes the opportunity to make this submission to the Carbon Leakage Review consultation paper. In the context of the Safeguard Mechanism reforms, the BCA...
Submission to the National Skills Passport Business Case
1 March 2024
The Business Council of Australia (BCA) welcomes the opportunity to contribute to a business case for a National Skills Passport. Australia needs to better develop the skills and capabilities...
Submission to the Senate Standing Committee on Economics inquiry into government amendments to Treasury Laws Amendment (Making Multinationals...
1 March 2024
The Business Council of Australia (BCA) welcomes the opportunity to make this submission to the Senate Standing Committee on Economics inquiry into the government amendments to Treasury Laws Amendment (Making...