The Business Council of Australia represents Australia’s largest employers, advocating for good policy on behalf of the business community and the Australians they employ.
Purpose and Mission Statement
The Business Council of Australia strives for a stronger Australia.
We work to ensure Australia is economically strong to support a fair, free and inclusive society for all Australians. Achieving this requires successful, well-run businesses that create meaningful jobs and inclusive work environments which reflect and are accountable to the broader Australian community.
The Business Council champions the role that responsible businesses play in generating sustainable economic growth and advocates for policy settings that are in the national interest.
We believe the role of business is to generate returns for shareholders over the medium to long term, and that doing this requires businesses to be good corporate citizens, and for big and small business to work together across our cities and regions.
This means to act in good faith, have products and services that are fit for market, represent those products fairly and balance the needs of all stakeholders and interests including employees, shareholders, customers, suppliers, the community and the environment.
The Business Council will actively collaborate with other community and business groups, political leaders at all levels of government and engage directly with the community to achieve our vision and purpose.
2020-21 policy platforms
The Business Council will anchor its advocacy priorities in the following key policy platforms:
- Australia remains an open and trading nation that supports private enterprise, innovation and entrepreneurship and incentivises free markets.
- That regulation is well targeted and consistent, supports the shift to a digital economy, drives responsible and sustainable environmental management and is designed to ensure Australia remains a globally competitive place to undertake business. Regulation should be implemented with efficient compliance functions and deliver positive outcomes.
- That Australia sets a national goal of net-zero emissions by 2050 to provide direction and drive investment in new technologies that will be critical to achieving this goal.
- A workplace relations system that helps people to work together to create enterprises that are more successful, share success, promote innovation, produce a framework for bargaining between equal parties and incentivises parties to achieve these goals.
- A competitive, efficient, equitable and transparent tax system where business taxes in Australia are competitive with other OECD nations and attract investment across our cities and regions.
- A growing population with access to a skills system built for the modern era, allowing Australians to reskill throughout their working lives, which is complemented by permanent and temporary skilled migration programs that are efficient and competitive to attract the best and brightest.