Submission to the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet on the Agricultural Competitiveness Issues Paper
The agriculture sector has been, and continues to be, a source of comparative advantage for Australia and a strong contributor to our national prosperity.
If this is to continue, Australia should position itself to meet the growing demand, particularly from Asia, for agricultural products going forward.
Improving the competitiveness of our agricultural sector is the best way to make the most of this opportunity.
The key issues that need to be addressed to improve our compeitiveness in the sector include:
- lifting the scale of operations
- continued focus on the production of high-quality products that meet the demands of overseas consumers
- accessing foreign markets
- having a high-performing and more flexible labour market
- attracting investment, including foreign investment, in the sector.