For over a decade we have supported strong action on climate change:
- We support the science of climate change.
- We support the Paris Agreement and transitioning to net-zero emissions by 2050.
- If we can meet our emissions reduction targets without carryover credits then we should.
- We support the need for a market-based carbon price to drive the transition and incentivise investment in low and no-emissions technology.
- Technology needs to drive the transition which will not only get us to a net-zero emissions future but will also create new jobs, opportunities and industries and maintain Australia’s competitiveness.
We supported the Rudd government’s Carbon Pollution Reduction Scheme (CPRS), called for an Emissions Intensity Scheme, supported a Clean Energy Target (CET) and most recently worked hard to bring industry and the community together to support the National Energy Guarantee (NEG). Further information on our record is available here.
As agreed by our Energy and Climate Change Committee late last year, at the start of the 2020s the Business Council will review and update its energy and climate change policy positions.
The objective of this project is to develop an updated, comprehensive energy and climate change policy package that is driven by science, technology and innovation to put Australia on a path to net-zero emissions by 2050.