Are you an analytical, creative thinker who wants to influence public policy to make Australia a more competitive and prosperous country?
The Business Council of Australia is looking to recruit a number of policy advisers to join its policy team. The Business Council have offices in Canberra, Melbourne and Sydney.
About the Business Council
The Business Council of Australia is a forum for Australia’s leading chief executives to shape public policy which supports economic growth and social progress for the benefit of all Australians.
Business Council members are supported by a secretariat that develops public policy positions based on the views of members, rigorous research and the application of domestic and international best practice.
We are looking to recruit a number of Policy Advisers with expertise in public policy, particularly in digital, energy markets and regulation, or regulatory policy that form part of the Business Council policy agenda.
The Secretariat is a small values-driven organisation committed to excellence, respect, responsibility, collegiality, collaboration and integrity.
Key performance indicators include:
- Develop key elements of the Business Council reform agenda ensuring they are comprehensive, ambitious and distinctive and they carry weight in influencing the policy development process of Australian governments.
- Contribution to the operation of the secretariat in a manner consistent with the Business Council’s values of excellence, respect, responsibility, collegiality, collaboration and integrity.
- Building and maintaining constructive working relationships to support the Business Council’s agenda.
Key responsibilities include:
- Analyse and provide advice on policy issues and provide input into submissions, reports, speeches and other communications materials.
- Work with other members of the Secretariat to ensure the Business Council policy reform agenda is forward looking, contributes to a strong national economy and community prosperity, encompasses both business and community views and reflects membership input.
- Consult widely and frequently within the membership to draw on the experiences and knowledge of member companies to inform policy development.
- Provide support to one or more of the Business Council’s policy committees and task forces.
- Occasional interstate travel will be required.
Skills and experience
- Experience in public policy, particularly in digital, energy markets and regulation, or regulatory policy – either gained in a policy or operational environment.
- A knowledge of best practice public policy development and implementation, and an understanding of government and political processes.
- Ability to engage constructively and maturely with a range of stakeholders in business, parliament and the bureaucracy.
- Sound understanding of the complex environment in which major businesses are operating.
- Ability to work closely with, and win the confidence of, the Business Council members.
- Ability and willingness to work on multiple projects, and move easily between complex work such as deep policy analysis and development and more straightforward work such as correspondence.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to write in plain English.
- Appropriate tertiary qualifications and experience commensurate with the above duties.
To apply, email a brief covering letter and current CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 6 January 2020. If you wish to discuss the position, please email Jessica Wilson, Executive Director, Policy at email@example.com or call 03 8664 2664.
(Applicants will be required to provide evidence of their eligibility to work in Australia)