This Business Council of Australia report, Developing a Framework for the Financing and Governance of Australian Universities: A Response to the Ministerial Discussion Papers, calls for the development of five fundamental principles to underpin the financing framework for the higher education system so:
- that it is sustainable and reflects the private and public benefits delivered
- it provide incentives to institutions for excellence
- there is reliability and predictability of base funding
- it promotes flexibility and choice
- the system provides for access based on ability, not the ability to pay upfront.
Developing a Framework for the Financing and Governance of Australian Universities was prepared for the Business Council of Australia by the Allen Consulting Group.